If you registered your domain name elsewhere, you will create private name servers at the registrar that manages your domain. Registering a private name server will be different for each domain name provider. However, the way to do it is similar.
Before register private name servers, please make sure A records exist for your registered private name servers, SOA and NS records are correct - DNS glue.
Steps to register Private Name Servers for your domain name
- Go to your Domain Manager
- Look for a control such as Register DNS, Create DNS, Name Servers, Register Name Servers,... in your domain manager control panel.
- Select Register Name Servers or Custom Name Servers or similar.
- Enter your name server, such as
- Enter your DNS server IP. It is usually the IP of your server.
- Wait for your name server to be updated. It may take from 1 hour to 48 hours.
If you have any questions, contact the domain registrar and let them know that you would like to register private name servers for your domain.
Here are the steps to register your name servers at Bluehost
1 Login to your Bluehost account then go to Domain Manager
2 Select your domain name
3 Go to Name Servers tab
4 Select Use Custom Nameservers
5 Enter your name server. The name server look like
6 If your name server is not registered then you will be asked to enter your name server's IP address.
7 Repeat step 5 and 6 for the second name server, sush as
8 Click Save nameserver settings.
Here are the steps to register your name servers at NameSilo
1 Login to your NameSilo account click on Manage My Domains at the right top corner
2 Click View/Manage Registered NameServers
3 Click on Register New Nameserver.
ns1 in the Host for the first name server, sush as
5 Enter your server's IP address.
6 Click on Submit button.
7 Repeat step 4 to 6 for the second name server, sush as