Joomla! 1.7 is a new version of Joomla! with many changes and improvements. With Joomla 1.7 the user community placed a large emphasis on making the CMS installation process as simple as possible and new versions more frequent.
One Click Version Updating - Update a site to the latest stable Joomla release with just a click. The new built-in updater also handles updates for Joomla and Joomla extensions. This is a major enhancement improving upon the previous system of manually updating individual files on the server.
Multilanguage Improvements - Multilanguage improvements allow you to associate menu items in different languages for faster navigation. Language packs can now also be built to automatically select the best font for that language for the administrative back end.
- The ability to create a search menu option with pre-defined search options. This allows developers to create a menu item that pre-fills out the search fields so end-users can have a built-in search for a specific phrase.
- Better example code for different plug-in types. The enables developers to more easily build custom extensions.
- The ability to automatically validate form data against a list of options during the save operation. This makes it easier to protect against hackers manipulating forms and trying to save invalid data.
- Enables the submit article form to automatically set the article category. This makes it easier for site administrators to restrict users to a specific category meaning content isn't accidentally added to the incorrect page on a website.
- Batch processing (copy & move) of articles is now available in the same way as it is for categories and menu items.
Download Joomla! 1.7
- You can download latest release of Joomla! 1.7.x at: https://downloads.joomla.org
- Click on the ZIP of the Full Package for the latest version.
- Save the file to the Download folder on your computer. It will be called a Compressed(zipped) Folder in the Details list in Windows Explorer.
Install Joomla! 1.7
Installing Joomla! 1.7 is the same as version 1.5. The installation step is easy and fast, you just take a minute to install Joomla!
Read more about: How to install Joomla! 1.5 on localhost?
In the final step (Step 7) - The Finish screen has helpful advice.
- Click on Remove the installation directory button to delete this Installation Directory. If you try to go on to use the site without doing this, you will be prompted to do it. You are only allowed to continue when it has been deleted.
- Click on Site button (1) to go to your Joomla! website or Click on Administrator button (2) to go to Adminstrator of your Joomla! website.
To use the Site and the Administration pages
- There are separate web addresses for the main Site and for the administrator Back-end Assuming the site is joomla: The Site (also known as the Site - Front-end) is http://localhost/joomla/
- The Administration page - (known also as the Admin - Back-end) is http://localhost/joomla/administrator
- If you have used a different name - put that in instead of joomla.