Joomla extensions are components, modules plugins, templates or languages that extends your Joomla! installation. They come included in Joomla core or can be provided from 3rd party developer. All extensions are installed through the extension manager.
Where to download Joomla! extensions
Joomla is highly extensible and thousands of extensions (most for free under the GPL license) are available in the Joomla Extensions Directory.
Install an extension in Joomla! 1.5
- Log in to the Joomla! Administrator Back-end. Read more about: Get to know the Administrator Back-end of Joomla!
- You can access the Extension Manager page by clicking Extensions -> Install/Uninstall on the toolbar menu.
- In Extension Manager, you can install your Templates, Plugins, Modules, Components and Languages. You have three options:
- Upload Package File - (select a package from your PC, upload and install it)
- Install from Directory - (enter the path where the package is located on your server)
- Install from URL - (enter the URL to the package)
- Here, we choose the first method: Upload Package File. Click Browse to select the package from your PC and click the button Upload File & Install.
- If the package contains no errors you are done and get a success message.
After the extensions are installed, you can use them by by clicking Components -> Click on extension's name (Component) or by clicking Extensions -> select one of the Module Manager, Plugin Manager, Template Manager, Language Manager.